Wednesday, May 16, 2012

100% American Made - Daily Inspiration

Yesterday, I was contacted via Ancestry.com by a relative of my great grandmother, Myrtle Sisson Walker. This lady lives in Peoria, IL. She told me the Sisson line goes all the ay back to the 1600s in Rhode Island. Kinda cool.

You always hear about how people trace their genealogy within one or two generations back to England or Germany or Africa. But not my family. We're rooted in America.

My mother's Walton line traces back to some Native Americans. My dad thinks it's the Ozark Indians but we aren't sure. We haven't done any searching on that side of the family yet. We always joke that I only have a pinky's worth of Native American in me. The Indian in me must be awfully diluted by now, but it's there somewhere in my DNA. The Indians were also rooted in America too.

So, it looks like I'm 100% American made. :)

My dad's grandfather, named Perry L. Walker, was a fireman on the Railroad with Casey Jones. Yes, *that* Casey Jones. And yes, he was a real person. You can't believe how many people think he's just a story character. Due to misspellings in the census records, it was a challenge to track down Perry's roots. When he was born his name was Osborn, but the census says Orsban (a common misspelling of the name Osborn or Osborne) But when he married my great grandmother, Myrtle Sisson, his last name was Walker.

So truly, the Walker line ends with my great grandfather. I had always wondered why we were never related to other Walkers in this area. Now I know. (And knowing is half the battle.)

My theory is that Perry's mother, Hannah Stanford Osborn remarried after Andrew Jackson Osborn died. She was married to a man named Enos Walker. (And Enos' father's name was also Enos.) So, Enos Walker became my great grandfather Perry's (and his sister, Etta's) step dad.

Isn't it great how people you're not even related to can influence your life? I thank God for Enos Walker, even though I'm not truly related to him.

No matter where I look in my family tree, it all comes back to being  born and bred in America. I'm proud to live in our country where our motto is "One Nation Under God."

I'm sure eventually my tree will reach across the ocean to some place else way down the line. Someday I'll discover where. What about you? Do you know where you came from?

My prayer for you is that you learn about your family history, who you really are. Be proud of that, no matter what you find.

Learn more about genealogy at Ancestry.com. And watch "Finding Your Roots" on your local PBS station or "Who Do You Think You Are?" on NBC.

2 comments:

Home with the Folks said...

Toni, I have found your Ancestors in England and Prussia, but haven't gone through all your lines yet. I can't wait to figure out your mother's fathers side, but I need more info to even get started.

Toni said...

My mom's dad's still alive. But you may have to talk to my Uncle Mike Walton if you want to find anything out.