Friday, April 20, 2012

A Dove of a Musical Color - Daily Inspiration

I was following the Dove Awards last night on Twitter.If you've never heard of them, the Dove Awards are a yearly award show show celebrating gospel and christian music.

I love the Dove Awards. You get to see people sing together who normally wouldn't. You get to hear music you usually wouldn't. It just sort of busts you out of your musical comfort zone.

The best part is the musical performances. Of course, I didn't get to see them last night, but I can't wait to hear them on April 24th when they broadcast the event  on GMC (formerly the Gospel Music Channel)

I started listening to contemporary Christian music in 1990. Back then I didn't even know music was categorized in such a way. I caught a video for a song called "The Great Adventure" by Steven Curtis Chapman on one of our local channels. I wasn't the type that usually watched videos so I'm assuming the television had been broadcasting something else the hour before and had switched to a video segment while I was out of the room.

Seeing that video sort of changed my life. Somehow I immediately knew that was Christian music even though I had never heard the term in relation to music before. I bought the cassette when our local Wal-Mart started carrying contemporary Christian music. I must have worn that cassette out. (Yes, cassette. It was THAT long ago.) Along the way, I found other music I enjoyed in the same genre: Susan Ashton, Kathy Troccoli, Clay Crosse.

Not long after my discovery of Christian music, I used to imagine myself singing the songs from those albums on a stage somewhere. I don't know why, it just seemed logical to my brain.

My grandfather was a complete southern gospel, hymnal music listener. He thought my Christian music was just a waste of time. But somehow I knew this was something I'd been looking for and didn't even know it.

Now I sing songs just like the ones I listened to back then on the stage of my own church. And it all stems back from that one video by Steven Curtis Chapman.

Has a musical album had a profound impact on you? My story isn't unusual. I had a musical album draw me back to church. At the time, I don't think a personal invitation would have worked. What about you? What drew you back to church? I'd love to know your input.

Saddle up your horses. We've got a trail to blaze.
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace.
We'll follow our leader into the glorious unknown.
This is a life like no other, whoa, this is the Great Adventure!
— The Great Adventure by Steven Curtis Chapman

No comments: