Sunday, April 01, 2012

A Time of Renewal - Daily Inspiration

Jesus said, "Come with me by yourself to a quiet place and get some rest." - Mark 6:31

You ever have one of those days? The day seemed to start off just as ordinary as the day before, but then one small incident fell like a ton of bricks on your head. And then everything after that seemed to spiral, one thing after another until all your carefully placed dominos had toppled over into a hot mess.

That was me on Thursday.

By noon, I was ready for a walk outside. I needed a new perspective. I needed to find a new way to relate to the world. In the end all I did was walk two blocks to a local store, bought a few things for lunch and walked back. I purposely stayed away from my desk for my entire lunch period (30 min), not something I usually do.

My mood had progressively nose dived durning the morning and this time alone was refreshing me.

When I worked a four day week in St. Louis, Thursday was the day I renewed myself. I felt like I'd dealt with too many people and too much nonsense over the course of the week and I took Thursday to do things just for me. It was my day off.

Every time Thursday came, I was so happy to see it. I needed Thursday like a dying man needed water. Thursday was my day.

Maybe I'm the only weird person who needs time alone, but I don't think do. I believe we all need to be refreshed. We need time to find our way when things look sour.

My mother has told me on more than one occasion not to eat at my desk and to get away from the rat race even if it's only for a second. She knew that I needed it.

On Thursday she was right, but aren't moms usually right?

Wisdom is found in those who take advice. - Proverbs 13:10

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which your Lord your God is giving you. - Exodus 20-12

Deep down I always knew she was right on the money, but one excuse after another had built up until I found myself paralyzed. I wanted to get away for a few moments but I felt compelled not to. On Thursday, I had to. I needed to.

My prayer for you is to make sure you take time out for yourself today. Make sure you make yourself a priority, even if all you can manage is a short walk to the store. Taking time out for you is important. Taking time out is a priority. Do it everyday.

Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. - Psalm 51:10

No comments: