Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Walk With The Wise -Daily Inspiration

Today is my Great Aunt Pootie's 90th Birthday! (Her real name is Florence Bierman.) Quite a milestone, don't you think? Not many of us will live to see it.

She's just as full of spunk as she was when she was twenty. She embodies the axiom "live life to the fullest." There's a scripture that reminds me of her: Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. - Proverbs 13:20

My great aunt is the wisest person I know and not only that, she has the biggest heart.

When she lived in Centralia, my great aunt baked little loafs of bread that she gave to newcomers to her church. And she not only did this once in awhile, she did it every Sunday. I'm sure she welcomed those new guests with a wide smile, a hug, and a "wonderful to see you."

My great aunt's favorite word is wonderful, and she says in a lilting way that sounds wonderful too.

Yes, my great aunt is a happy, loving spirit, the type of person people compare you to. And I don't mind having such a personality to live up to. Not everyone gets an Great Aunt Pootie in their lives. I know I'm lucky.

My family once met my great aunt at her church for a meal. I don't remember the specific circumstance, but one thing stays with me. My parents and I walk in the door and when we see her we hug her. Not just one of us. We each do it. Then when my Aunt Jane and Uncle Fred come in they greet her and hug her too. It's something we do. We're a family of huggers. Other people at her church gave us strange looks as if they thought hugging just wasn't right. Sorry people, but if you're in my family, I'M HUGGING YOU!

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1

My great aunt and her sisters Elizabeth, Sue and Edna decided many years ago to start an annual tradition. We call it the family reunion. We meet every year in Centralia on the last Sunday of June. Last year over one-hundred people showed up.

I know a lot of families aren't like ours. They don't meet every year, they don't hug each other when they see them. And I think that's sad. If my family wasn't close, I'd never gotten to know my Great Aunt Pootie. I never would have known she was a master at not only quilting but making good friends.

My great aunt isn't just great, she's WONDERFUL!

My prayer for you is to seek out those wonderful people in your family. Get to know them. Grow wise from them. After all, when we walk with the wise we grow wise. :)

If we walk with the wise, we will grow wise, oh,
And if we walk in the light then our path will be bright, 
I know, yeah, I know,
And when someone who's already been where we must go, 
In the light of what they've learned we find, 
That we will grow wise, when we walk with the wise. 
Steven Curtis Chapman "Walk With The Wise"

No comments: