Saturday, April 07, 2012

Family Is More Than Blood - Daily Inspiration

My Grandfather was a great man. I always said he and my grandmother were the only real grandparents I ever had. But even with all the love we poured out to him, he had one paralyzing fear. If grandma died first, would we all leave him?

I think deep inside he knew we loved him. But I soon discovered why he had this fear, this fear I totally couldn't understand.

He was married before he married my grandmother. And when he and his first wife split up, his first family abandoned him. Not only did the wife leave him, but so did the child. I could never understand that. My grandfather was so easy to love. Why would they abandon him like that? Not even a card here and there or an occasional phone call. Once they were divorced, it was over.

I hate that my grandfather had to go through that. But sometimes God knows best.

I tell everyone that I get my gift of singing from him, even though technically we're not related by blood. My grandfather, Bud Marrs, was an ordained minister, did prison ministry for many years and sang in more gospel quartets than I can remember the names of.

He was the one who inspired me to sing. He always believed in my talent. And I don't think I would have used it like I do today if it weren't for him.

When I was in sixth grade, my music teacher, Mr. Hawkins, told me that I didn't have a strong enough voice to be in the choir. Only select sixth graders were allowed to be in the choir at that time. I didn't understand why I wasn't good enough. My grandfather told me I was. I was certain I was. I never doubted it for a minute. That's how much faith my grandfather had in me. And through his faith in me, I gained the strength to stand up for myself.

I kept at Mr. Hawkins until he finally let me take singing lessons with him. I did that for six months. And I did eventually get into the choir. I knew I would. Grandpa said so. So I believed him.

Do you have anyone in your life like my Grandfather? Someone not necessarily related to you by blood, but someone who inspires you to be a better you? Tell them today how much they mean to you. Sometimes blood doesn't make a family.

No comments: