Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Worth More Than Gold - Daily Inspiration

For my birthday, I treated myself to a few CDs. I love music and I love how it teaches us so many things. There's a lot of great music coming out right now. One song in particular spoke to me this week. It's called "Gold" from Britt Nicole. It's based on a scripture in 1 Peter:

1 Peter 1:6-7
I know how great this makes you feel, even though you have to put up with every kind of aggravation in the meantime. Pure gold put in the fire comes out of it proved pure; genuine faith put through this suffering comes out proved genuine. When Jesus wraps this all up, it's your faith, not your gold, that God will have on display as evidence of his victory.

"Whatever you've been told, you're worth more than gold," she sings.

Do you ever feel like you're not enough? That you don't matter. That whatever you do is never good enough? I struggle with these sorts of feelings even today.

Galatians 5:26
Each of us is an original

I've always known I was a tad off center. In our family we called ourselves "weird" and we were okay with the term, we embraced it, in fact.

I was very good in my youth at guessing what people were thinking, especially in my own family. I guess I really was interpreting facial expressions, vocal tone and body movements and coming up with what was going on in their head. But back then I had a different label for it. I used to joke that I could SEE THE TRUTH.

I wish I could have seen the truth when I gave up bits of my self-esteem over the years. But sometimes life doesn't work that way. We have to go through troubles and tossed on the waves of a hurricane of life to learn the lessons God sets forth for us.

Sometimes I'm not as good a friend to myself as God is to me, or as I am to others. I wish I could see myself like God does. He says we're worth more than gold. We are unique... or as I like to think of it YOU-nique! No one else out there is like you. (Quoting a bit of Mr. Rogers.)



YOU ARE YOU-NIQUE!

We are each unique expressions, individual. Society says you can be anything you want. But can you? Can a pine cone become a rose? Can a dolphin fly? Can lead become gold?

Absolutely not.

But you can be everything God wants you to be. God has given us each talents and abilities and desires to do accomplish these things. And these abilities make us YOU-nique.

Maybe someday I'll discover why I'm such a sensitive nut. Maybe that's some aspect of myself that makes me a better writer, I don't know. Maybe it gives me more empathy to connect to songs with my singing. There are any number of reasons why, God only knows for sure.

Do you struggle with low self-esteem? Do you try to people please, and please everyone except yourself. My prayer for you today is to realize that in the eyes of God, you are worth more than gold. You are YOU-nique! Take a minute today to see yourself like God does.

Romans 5: 6-8
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

No comments: