Sunday, April 15, 2012

Not To The Swift - Daily Inspiration

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. - Ecclesiastes 9:11 MSG

I've never been one to get from point A to point B slowly. I was the girl who walked too fast, talked to fast and completed everything at lightning speed.

Speedy Delivery used to be my motto. And I've been known to say it when completing a job someone needed quickly. I used to think getting things done quickly was a good thing. And it is, to a point.

When you make fast-forward the gear you live in, you begin to miss the important things.

I had to teach myself to slow down. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy. Constantly reminding myself to slow down was tiring.

I used to design ads that set land speed records. And all putting my life in fast-forward did was amp up the stress I already had ten-fold.

There is a reason that scripture at the beginning says 9:11. Life isn't an emergency. The race isn't always to the swift. Learning the art of slowing down is important if you don't want to live your life in the danger zone. It's no wonder I now have high blood pressure. I had lived my entire life that way.

Slowing down was my goal, but I had lived so long in emergency mode I didn't know how to live any other way.

My prayer for you is to notice if you're living your life too swiftly. And if you are, take a note from our friend the tortoise. Slow and steady usually wins the race.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I am always saying "slow and steady wins the race". Thanks Toni for a good reminder to enjoy life rather than rush through it.
Lori