Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fear Not - Daily Inspiration

Psalm 96:4 - For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.

Am I the only person who doesn't understand why we're supposed to fear God? When I see scriptures like that, I just don't get it.

I know we're supposed to love the Lord. Deuteronomy 6:5 it says, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

And I know we're supposed to rejoice in the Lord. In 1 Chronicles 16:10 it says: Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.

Plus, we're supposed to seek His face like it says in Psalm 105:4 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

But I just don't get the whole fearing the Lord thing. I want to love him, rejoice in him and seek his face, but I don't want to fear him. Fearing him makes me think of scary horror movies and my God is not a scary God. Okay, so he has done some scary things.

Hopefully, it's okay for me to love him, rejoice in him and seek his face. Maybe if you understand this fearing God thing, you can try to explain it to me.

My prayer for you is to love, rejoice and seek His face. And if you do understand this fear thing you can do that too.

Have a great Sunday!

Nehemiah 9:32 “Now therefore, our God, the great God, mighty and awesome, who keeps his covenant of love, do not let all this hardship seem trifling in your eyes—the hardship that has come on us, on our kings and leaders, on our priests and prophets, on our ancestors and all your people, from the days of the kings of Assyria until today.

No comments: